Skin and Nail Problems
Your toenails and skin are your outer barrier—the feet’s first line of defense against infections and injuries. Of course, you also want them to look and feel good, too, especially in a place like sunny South Florida where open-toed shoes are in style all year long.
We understand that both health and aesthetics are important, and we work closely with you to regain and maintain healthy, happy feet you can be proud to show off! Below, you’ll find more information on some of the common conditions we see, and how we help you overcome them.
Ingrown toenails can be quite painful, and even become infected if you ignore treatment. They occur when the corner or edge of a toenail—usually the big toe—begins digging into nearby flesh. You’ll probably notice redness, swelling, and sometimes extreme tenderness and sensitivity, too.
An ingrown nail could be the result of an accidental injury such as stubbing your toe, or a lifestyle choice such as wearing shoes that are tight on your toes. However, there may be a genetic component as well—some people simply have naturally curved toenails that are more likely to become ingrown.
Our goal is always to fix your pain and get you back to full activity as quickly as possible, which is why we offer same-day solutions for painful ingrown toenails. You won’t need to go to the hospital or take general anesthesia, and the vast majority of people who undergo the procedure are back on their feet without pain right away.
We’ll numb the toe, have the edge of the nail removed that is causing problems, and if necessary can even remove a small part of the nail matrix so that the edge of nail won’t grow back again. This offers a permanent fix while still looking quite natural!
Fungal toenails can appear as yellow, dull, thick, brittle, ragged, and even warped or distorted. They aren’t always physically painful, but they are very unsightly and often a source of embarrassment and psychological stress.
It’s important to realize that fungal toenails won’t go away on their own, and even with treatment won’t go away right away. The nail and skin provides both a limitless source of keratin (which is what the fungus needs to thrive) and a natural barrier that resists topical medications. Even once the fungus is eliminated, any damaged portions of the nail won’t just disappear—they’ll have to grow out naturally, which takes time.
All that said, we understand your distress and work hard to bring you the fastest possible results. Our KeryFlex nail restoration procedure provides an immediate cosmetic improvement, applying a medical-grade resin to create a natural-looking artificial nail surface that can instantly alleviate the embarrassment of a cloudy fungal nail. You can even use polish and polish remover on it!
While the KeryFlex system restores the aesthetic appearance, ridding you of this yellow nails, we’ll also provide treatment designed to kill the fungal infection underneath, so that new nail will grow in clear and healthy.
A number of common skin conditions can cause pain and distress. Some of the skin conditions we treat, and other care we provide, include:
- Athlete’s foot: This common infection can usually be treated at home using topical antifungal creams you can purchase over the counter. However, if you find home care isn’t working, or athlete’s foot keeps returning, stop in to see us. You may need a stronger medication, or there may be some lifestyle adjustments you can make to help reduce the recurrence rate.
- Warts: Although they usually aren’t dangerous and may go away on their own in time, warts on feet can be embarrassing. They can also be painful if stepping on them causes painful pressure on skin and nerves. We’ll help you remove them safely and quickly.
- Heel fissures: Deep cracks in dry skin, especially around the heel, are not only unsightly but can cause significant pain and even bleed or become infected. If you find home care isn’t working, we can help you restore healthy skin faster.
- Surgical procedures: Whenever surgery is required for a foot condition, most people are naturally concerned about the long-term aesthetic result—it’s important to us, too! A skilled surgeon, Dr. Olacio is trained in minimally invasive techniques and other procedures which help reduce the amount of scarring and produce the best possible cosmetic outcome.
- Wounds: Healing foot wounds is a core specialty of Omega Medical Group, with a vascular surgeon (Dr. Manuel Gonzalez) and endocrinologist (Dr. Anthony Domingo) joining Dr. Olacio to provide comprehensive, multi-disciplinary treatment. If you notice any skin sores or ulcers on your feet that just aren’t healing, visit OMG for immediate care—more than just restoring healthy skin, it could save an entire foot from a preventable amputation.
Whatever the cause of pain or distress, Dr. Marizeli Olacio and the OMG team are dedicated to providing the personalized, professional care you need to get back to living your desired lifestyle! We always take the necessary time to listen to your concerns and understand your needs, so that you get the treatment that’s best for you and focused on restoring whole-body health quickly and fully. You can request an appointment online, or call us today at (305) 514-0404